Author Biography: Peter Thornley
Peter is a Guest Writer for InsideCuisine.
One of New Zealand's most acclaimed and well known chefs, Peter Thornley, heads up Hilton Queenstown's signature restaurant Wakatipu Grill.
Peter began professional life as a Petty Officer in the Royal New Zealand Navy, before moving to London and working his way up through the culinary ranks in various restaurants.
In 1994, Peter returned home to open a vineyard restaurant between Christchurch and Akaroa called French Farm and very soon started collecting the first of many accolades for his cuisine. He then opened a fine dining restaurant in central Christchurch, before heading north to skipper the beloved Icon Restaurant in the Te Papa Museum of New Zealand in Wellington for six years, before becoming Executive Chef in Auckland’s Soul Bar in the Viaduct Harbour development, then onto Bracu on New Zealand’s olive estate, 60km from Auckland, and since 2008, Kermadec in Auckland, also in Viaduct Harbour.
Peter’s accomplishments also include:
- Chef of the year award
- Restaurant of the year award
- Most innovative chef award
- Singapore Chef of Year (4 years)
- Bracu receives seven reviews with full marks 5/5
- National Business review award
- Food writer for top end magazine
- Television and radio guest chef appearances in New Zealand and Australia.
Articles written by Peter Thornley
- Duck breast with Madeira sauce
- My ultimate four cheese macaroni
- Dark chocolate and olive oil cookies
- Mediterranean sweet potato pitas
- Nouveau Riche whisky cocktail
- Spiced tuna tartare : Chef Daniel Wilson
- Chocolate Cadboll Negroni
- Fruit and Nut Fingers recipe : Gary Mehigan
- Golden Age Cooler cocktail : Tim Philips
- Creamy chestnut tiramisu : Chef Stefano Manfredi
- Hearty chicken with chestnuts and mushrooms : Chef Stefano Manfredi
- Easy roast chestnut, pumpkin and ricotta salad : Chef Stefano Manfredi
- Linguine of mushrooms with poached free range egg : Chef Michael Robinson
- Hmmm Hummingbird cake
- The easiest chocolate almond fondant pudding ever
- Luke Nguyen’s Vietnamese PHO recipe March 6, 2010
- MUM’S rhubarb and apple crumble August 28, 2010
- The ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE cake from The Free Range Cook Annabel Langbein September 3, 2010
- At home with Neil Perry : bircher muesli October 17, 2010
- Annabel Langbein’s Baked Lemon Grass and Chilli Chicken September 1, 2010
- Annabel Langbein’s Roast Pork with Fennel, Onions and Apples August 22, 2010
- Annabel Langbein’s Sesame and Oregano Lavosh recipe October 15, 2010
- Annabel Langbein’s Pistachio and Berry Ice Cream September 30, 2010
- Annabel Langbein’s famous Egg and Bacon Pie September 16, 2010
- Frankie’s Pizza Sydney December 8, 2012
- Barefoot bartenders May 19 2013
- Duck breast with Madeira sauce May 19 2013
- My ultimate four cheese macaroni May 19 2013
- Santa Barbara Kings Cross May 15 2013
- The Old Growler Woolloomooloo May 15 2013
- ITC Maurya Hotel New Delhi May 14 2013
- Taj Mahal Palace Hotel Mumbai May 14 2013
- Historic Shiraz vines planted in the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney May 05 2013
- The best 12 beers in Australia May 05 2013
- The Royal Albert Surry Hills May 05 2013
- Rebecca Varidel: Natalie says she likes the New Delhi hotel in the ...
- Marlo Perry: Wow! It looks amazing. Would love to stay there on...
- Martin Connolly: We just visited Mumm in Reims and were blown away ...
- Simon Food Favourites: love the look of those plump scallops with the bas...
- Rebecca Varidel: part 1 and part 2 in the culture of cheese coming ...
- Lisa the Gourmet Wog: Cheese! The ultimate dessert! I can't get enough.....
- Jenny: I had a wonderful breakfast at the Merino Cafe a w...
- Rebecca Varidel: absolutely Lisa!...
- Lisa the Gourmet Wog: Ahhhh a bass player in a suburban cafe that makes ...
- Jim: would love to meet Florence Henderson....