“The Electrolux Appetite for Excellence finalists represent our most promising young hospitality professionals and the future of our restaurant industry. Participating in the Awards program provides an amazing opportunity to showcase their talents to the most respected names in the food business. It also affords unique learning and networking opportunities critical to future success. Speaking on behalf of the judges, we are so proud of this next generation of hospitality professionals and can’t wait to see what role they’ll play in helping grow Australia as an international food and wine destination.” said program co-founder, judge, chef and restaurateur Luke Mangan.
I’m a huge supporter of this initiative which not only develops our young culinary talent but also helps to promote hospitality as a career in this country. Earlier this week, I was lucky to get a chance to meet all of the finalists: at the judging of the Young Waiters in the Apprentice Restaurant (Ultimo TAFE) then a couple of floors lower to check out our Young Chefs cook off.
Who has made it through?
The Electrolux Appetite for Excellence 2012 national finalists are:
Electrolux Australian Young Chef Finalists (in alphabetical order)
- Kah-wai Lo (Hare & Grace, Melbourne VIC)
- Matthew Bugeja (Becasse, Sydney NSW)
- Michael Demagistris (Sorrento Golf Club, Sorrento VIC)
- Michael Fox (Henry and the Fox, Melbourne VIC)
- Nick Street-Brown (Coast Restaurant and Bar, Hervey Bay QLD)
- Sarah Knights (Uccello, Sydney NSW)
- Stewart Wesson (Bridgewater Mill, Adelaide SA)
Electrolux Australian Young Waiter Finalists (in alphabetical order)
- Alexander Tuckett (Pilu at Freshwater, Sydney NSW)
- Christopher Rose (glass brasserie, Sydney NSW)
- Christopher Sarandis (The Marquis, Adelaide SA)
- Damien Byrne (Lot 7, Melbourne VIC)
- James Audas (BLACK by Ezard, Sydney NSW)
- Pierre-Etienne Geoffroy (Jacques Reymond Restaurant, Melbourne VIC)
- Simone Spicer (Pei Modern, Melbourne VIC)
Electrolux Young Restaurateur National Finalists:
- Amelia Birch (The Book Kitchen, Surry Hills NSW)
- Daniel Wilson (Huxtable Restaurant, Fitzroy VIC)
- Justin Markos (Utopia @ Waterfully Gully, Waterfall Gully SA)
- Katrina Birchmeier (Garagistes, Hobart TAS)
- Peter Harrington (Sage Restaurant, Braddon ACT)
- Rebecca Lines (Bar H, Surry Hills NSW)
Congratulations to all.
Al the national finalists will be rewarded for their high achievement with a coveted place on an all-expenses-paid produce tour through the Australian Capital Territory and Southern New South Wales, visiting and learning from the passionate producers that reside in this region.
The Electrolux Appetite for Excellence 2012 Awards presentation will be held on Monday, 20 August, 2012 at glass brasserie, Hilton Sydney.
For further details about Electrolux Appetite for Excellence, visit www.appetiteforexcellence.com