While our family likes to just savour the beautiful seasonal persimmon, as a fruit, just as it is, this autumn I thought it was time to give this recipe for a dessert, with white chocolate mousse, a try. It’s a lovely combination, the texture of the mousse works well against the creamy decadent flesh of the persimmon and the lime, ginger and star anise compliment the flavour of the persimmon sensationally.
Lime poached persimmons with white chocolate mousse
4 sweet persimmons, peeled and sliced
1 lime, zest and juice
1 knob of ginger, peeled
1 star anise
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
200g white chocolate
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 pinch of salt
For the poached persimmons:
– Add sugar to water, add ginger, star anise, lime juice and zest to create syrup for poaching and bring to the boil.
– Add persimmons slices to syrup, bring back to boil, turn of the heat and set aside to cool.
– Once cold place into the refrigerator.
For the white chocolate mousse:
– Place a saucepan half filled with water onto medium heat and place a heat resistant glass bowl on top of the saucepan.
– Add chocolate to the bowl and slowly melt.
– Separate the egg whites and yolks in separate bowls.
– Add sugar and vanilla essence to the egg yolks and whisk until pale in colour.
– In a separate bowl whip the cream.
– Whisk the egg whites, when almost stiff add salt.
If you’d rather something savoury there is also a salad recipe for Persimmon and watercress salad with gorgonzola on Inside Cuisine.
Australian Persimmons Recipes are provided on Inside Cuisine by courtesy of Persimmons Australia Inc.