Cellar Night at Bécasse

Marinated tuna, forgotten vegetables, and quince soufflé. What more could you want from a restaurant menu except perhaps to bring your own wine!

Bécasse launched their first monthly “Cellar Night” last Tuesday 6th of July. Taking place on the first Tuesday of every month the cellar night was designed in order for guests to bring a favourite bottle from their wine collections to match Chef Justin North’s menu.

Starting off with a glass of bubbles we savoured the canapé of black olive biscotti with whipped goats curd, and the unbelievably delicious marinated tuna with chilled Mediterranean consommé and prosciutto.

The menu, and each dish on it, was perfectly balanced. The pairings of flavours blue eye with roasted prawns, cauliflower and salted buckwheat or the cepe royale with scallops and veal tongue were mouth-watering and I was slightly disappointed that I had to finish each dish and move on, but with each course the flavours only got better and better.

The highlight of the evening for me was the scrumptious caramelised pork hock with forgotten vegetables and cedar smoked potatoes. Chef Justin North said he chose the forgotten vegetables, of celeriac, swede, turnip, kohlrabi, Congo potato, sweet potato, and Hawaiian sweet potato, to get back to the vegetables that were from his childhood.

The Old Telegraph cheeses were magnificent also, and as cheese is a favourite of mine I think I ate more than my fair share of the platter. Three cheeses were served Brie, Fire Engine and Sapphire Blue, with the blue being the definite winner in my book.

By the time the twice baked quince soufflé came out paired with white quince, candied orange and vanilla ice-cream I was saddened that the night was coming to a close but also dying to know what the menu would be for next month, and couldn’t wait to make a reservation for the next “Cellar Night” before leaving for the evening.

Next month’s “Cellar Night” will be held on Tuesday 3rd August and I am waiting with anticipation to try the bone marrow custard, and black truffle risotto, but knowing Bécasse I know that the menu will be perfect.

Tuesday 3rd August 2010

Canapé

Bécasse Artisan Bread

Amuse bouche
Citrus marinated bonito salad of braised octopus

Bone marrow custard smoked eel and prosciutto

Fresh black truffle risotto Jerusalem artichoke and mushroom

Braised ballottine of organic wagyu beef shin smashed carrots and swede

Truffle brie candied quince

Chocolate, chestnut and vanilla mont blanc caramel and date purée, coconut ice cream

Bécasse
204 Clarence Street
Sydney 2000
+61 (0)2 9283 3440
Becasse website

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Cellar Night at Bécasse”

1. nashipearfoodie says:
    July 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Becasse is one of my favourite restaurants! The cellar night sounds like a great night. I love the idea of using forgotten vegetables, it reminds us that there is a delicious way to present all vegetables!

July 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

It had us intrigued as to what the vegetables would be. Because it’s a cellar night, and the idea is to match the wine, we had the menu a few weeks before. I was right with some of the ‘forgotten vegetable’ guesses, but missed on others. Yes, also one of my favourite restaurants, I think Justin just gets better and better …

2. Forager @ The Gourmet Forager says:
    July 11, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Looks fantastic and I might have to sign myself up for the next cellar night – the bone marrow custard has me very intrigued!

July 11, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Natalie and I have already booked a table, if you want to group up with us for the next one. The Bone Marrow custard got me (us) in! x

3. Tony Hollingsworth says:
    July 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Sounds and looks fantastic Rebecca, thanks for sharing this.

July 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Thanks, Tony, it was a fantastic night, and thanks to my guest Natalie Manning for writing this guest post.

4. Sarah says:
    July 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Love this post, that tuna just looks amazing!

July 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I’m a great fan of consomme, and it was the chilled and jellied consomme that was my star of the evening!

5. pierre says:
    August 2, 2010 at 12:25 am

this is a great idea !! and the menu looks so great !! lucky you !! PIerre

August 4, 2010 at 2:19 pm

we had a splendid range of wines last night. food was again excellent with the highlights for me being the bone marrow custard, and the dessert!!

6. Cadara Zulpo says:
    November 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm

My Husband bought me my first bread maker – now researching to get the most out of it. Been doing a lot of bookmarking :-)

November 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm

what a wonderful present and good luck with that – kneading bread by hand is fun, tactile and very therapeutic too!